- His top two teeth are here. Sleep has been a bit restless this month and I think that is why. He will cry out in his sleep and when I go in to check on him he is crying, but still restlessly sleeping. I think either he is experiencing growing pains, teething pains or bad dreams!
- Jake was the first one to show interest in self-feeding by throwing a bit of a tantrum at the table when I would try to feed him. So we've started finger foods. He'll use his fist to feed himself, but isn't real good at hitting his mouth yet. He is a super messy eater, especially because he bangs on everything, mashing it.
- He loves eating blueberries in his little nuby masher. He will suck on it and make all kinds of noises. At one point I was feeding Max who stopped to look over at him like "what's with all the noise, dude".
- He gets himself up to standing using everything he can to climb on. Now he is even just scaling up the wall to get himself to standing. He will grab for the freezer handle with his toes almost off the ground and has quite a grip when we try to shoo him off.
- Scaling the furniture to walk. We watched him go all the way down the couch on Feb 15th.
- He is like the fastest crawler ever and will really come barreling.
- Big Jake is definitely living up to his nickname. He's just a really "thick and solid" guy. With such a strong back and tree-trunk legs. Such a difference in body mass when you hang on to him versus Max. Definitely growing into our blonde hair, blue eyed little boy!
Five Things Mommy Loves About Jake:
1. Always smiling
2. Great snuggle buddy for sleeping
3. When he sees me while he's playing and will stop to rush over to be picked up or hugged
4. The way he'll stare or squint his eyes and you know he's taking it all in and computing something in his head
5. Waving his arms when excited, especially when being picked up out of his highchair or crib.
- That second bottom tooth came in quickly after the first one popped through. They are both coming in kind of crooked which is kinda cute.
- Max now likes to hold the bottle himself when being fed. If he's tired enough he'll lay in your lap to be fed, but definitely wants to be the one to hold the bottle. Other times he's wandering around the living room occasionally stopping to feed himself. I cringe because it can be messy as he drips it all over, but I'm all for self-feeding. He'll really throw his head back to drink it too which is pretty funny.
- Max loves to eat. He still likes for me to feed him for the most part and will grunt if I'm not doing it fast enough. He's also pretty good at feeding himself finger foods, by picking it up with his fist. He loves his sippy cup too.
- Max still has those spaghetti arms and is really good at getting what he wants.
- He is scaling furniture and walls too. Tonight he scaled himself around me and then down the couch in order to get a necklace of mine that he kept pulling at when I was wearing it. When I took it off he didn't let it out of his sight and was determined to get it. And he did.
- Max still loves the swaddle when he needs to really relax. He LOVES his muslin blankets and will roll around with it on the floor, when he finds one. Daddy is really good at getting him to relax at night with his blanket and fall asleep.
- Now that Max is completely crawling, his grunting whine has stopped which is wonderful. He is a fast crawler and gets pretty excited when he is on the move.
- Max is obsessed with doors this month. Loves to shut them and bang on them in whatever room we are in.
- While their weight differs like 1-2 lbs at most, Max is definitely a peanut compared to his brother. Such a difference in body mass when holding and cuddling with him. He is our little baby with a big personality and is always entertaining us.
1. That beautiful smile and those almond shaped eyes
2. Hearing his hands & feet hit the floor and excited panting as he comes to find where I'm at.
3. His excited crawl over to me to be picked up for a hug when I get home from work.
4. His busy-body attitude, Max likes to be entertained. While this is sometimes trying, Mommy can relate so it is an admired quality!
5. His woodchuck sounding laugh. Especially when he's excited because he's being fed or gets to grab something new and exciting.
Puppy-Like Habits of My Boys:
- Chewing on all furniture. I just noticed Jake's crib has a ton of teeth marks and is missing paint?
- Stealth-like hearing (like a hunting dog). Their heads will swivel at even the slightest noise and then they are off to find it. If Chris makes a noise while getting ready in the morning, they will stop what they are doing to investigate and then sit outside the door to wait for him.
- Begging for food and staring while you eat. If I'm on the ground eating a snack, they will literally be crawling on top of me trying to grab it. I am going to have to start sneaking treats like my sister, Anna has to do!
- Diving for food when it is served. If I put a snack such as cheerios on their tray, they will dive forward for it and scoop it up by the handful to try to get it to their mouth.
- Humping furniture. Now that they can stand up, their signature move is rocking themselves back and forth as they hang onto anything. Ok, so not quite humping but that is what it looks like sometimes....
- Starting to understand time and/or schedules perhaps. There are things I do in the morning to get ready (put make-up on at kitchen table and letting them play in our room while I get dressed) that signal I'm leaving for the day. We think they are starting to catch on because they get a little panicked sometimes wanting to be held. On the day of the snowstorm Ammy said that Jake was literally sitting by the gate whining as it got to be later and later and I still wasn't home. Almost as if he knew what time I got home everyday and that I was late.
They are into everything and Chris said it well in that it seems like we are just "plugging holes" because each day something else is being taken down, covered up or knocked over. I finally gave in and we moved the wine rack into the basement,.......into what is supposed to be an office (which has now basically become a storage room). As we did it Chris said "don't worry it's only temporary, just a couple of years". Oh man.